Fall is finally here, and that means school is in full swing, pumpkin patches and fall festivals are popping up all over our city, and we are starting to think about the approaching holidays. As moms, we are always on the lookout for activities we can do with our kids that are both fun and promote an overall healthy lifestyle.
Fall is undoubtedly the best season in Houston for outdoor activities. The weather is a tad cooler, but still warm enough so that light layers are usually enough to keep comfortable. Our city is massive, and there are no shortage of outdoor activities to keep you and your kids moving your bodies, while at the same time having fun exploring all that Houston has to offer. Some ideas include:
- Take a hike: While Houston may not exactly be known as a hiking destination, we do have many beautiful, clean and accessible hiking locations all over the city. Grab your water bottle and sunscreen, and spend a Saturday morning exercising and enjoying nature with your family!
- Plant a fall garden: Gardening is a great activity that the whole family can do together, gets you outside and moving, and provides you with healthy fruits and vegetables for your dinner table!
- Visit one of Houston’s many local parks: You may not consider chasing your kids around a playground or pushing them on a swing as a workout, but it does count as moving your body and physical activity.
- Take a short road trip to one of Texas’ state parks: There are 5 state parks that are an easy drive from Houston. You can bring a picnic lunch and explore for a day, or spend a weekend camping with your family.
Try Some New Recipes
Fall is the perfect season to get in the kitchen and start trying new foods and recipes. It’s also a great season to reset your family’s eating habits, focusing on fueling your bodies with good, nutritious food.
- Smoothies aren’t just for summer! Make them for a quick and filling breakfast, or a yummy after-school snack.
- Focus on plant based meals that are both healthy and delicious.
- Meal plan, and find recipes that are both healthy AND easy. As moms, we spend so much time on the go, taking our kids to and from activities, but we still want to provide them with healthy, homemade meals. Planning ahead and having easy, go-to recipes that everyone will eat is the key to drama-free weeknights.
We all know how important regular exercise is to our health and our children’s growing bodies, but sometimes regular, intentional exercise can fall by the wayside in the busyness of life. Also, it’s sometimes difficult to find a facility that offers activities for everyone in the family, regardless of age or activity level.
Athlete Training and Health, with locations in Katy and Spring, is a world-class training facility that offers group classes and individual training that are taught by performance coaches who all have degrees in Kinesiology, Strength and Conditioning, or an exercise related field. They provide award-winning adult fitness and sports performance training for youth, collegiate and professional athletes. For adults looking to improve their health, expert ATH coaches lead adults through an invigorating variety of class formats including HIIT, boot camp, strength conditioning, speed and agility training in a supportive and inspiring environment.
They have Student ATHlete classes for ages 8-18 that occur at the same time as many adult classes, so families can go at the same time and have fun exercising and spending time together. Of course, youth athletes are not mini adults and, therefore, must have a progressive training approach specific to the unique needs of youth and adolescent athletes. ATH coaches optimize student training programs for all sports without risking individual health.
And did we mention they are award-winning?! This year ATH was voted the Best Gym in Houston by the Houston Chronicle’s Best of Awards!
Right now, Athlete Training and Health has two great offers for you, so it’s a great time to gather the family and start moving your bodies together!
- Family Membership Discounts: Get 10% off monthly membership fees when you sign up for more than one person in your household. Restrictions apply so please see Member Services for details.
- Get ONE FREE WEEK of adult fitness or youth sports performance training!
Connect with Athlete Training and Health
ATH – North Houston
19711 Stuebner Airline Road
Spring, TX 77379
ATH – Katy