A Day in the Life…of a SAHM

I’m pretty sure I have never been asked what I do all day as a stay-at-home-mom.  Some nights I even wonder myself just how I spent the hours of the preceding day. My husband definitely steers clear of the question as he would be sure to get an earful!  So I was grateful when Houston Moms Blog decided to create ‘A Day in the Life’ series to celebrate ALL moms and ALL of our daily duties this Mother’s Day.  Here are a few reasons why it is especially important to me these days…

I have a great excuse to document these precious days before Baby Boy #3 joins our family and adds his own personality to the dynamic.  Looking back on my day gives me an opportunity to reflect on how I use my time. And lastly, I will not only get to hear about the days of some of our working mom contributors, but I hopefully get to hear from you! I think it’s so beneficial to step outside our own lives and see just how others are doing it. So be sure to share on Facebook or comment below. I’d love to hear what your day is like!

I decided on a Tuesday. My oldest goes to a Mother’s Day Out program, and these days are sometimes more, sometimes less, chaotic than days when both boys are home.  My “mission” was to take a picture every hour. Some hours I took a few more than one, and admittedly, the evening hours somehow ran together without a single shot. And the times…well…go ahead and add an “ish” behind each one!

I woke up with my husband’s alarm a bit earlier but stayed in bed until I heard the “Mommy…Mommy” calls from my {almost} four-year-old.  We are working on convincing him to just get out of bed and come get us. Let’s just say he’s not convinced.  It’s a good thing until he’s sharing a room with little brother which needs to happen any day now.

:: 6:50 :: One quick stop to start the coffee, and I’m off to grab him from his bed.

Processed with VSCOcam with c1 preset

:: 7:50 :: A cup of coffee and two breakfasts {we just might have had Brown Sugar PopTarts} eaten later, and it’s time to spend some quality time playing superheroes with Batman before John wakes.

Processed with VSCOcam with h6 preset

:: 8:55 :: All smiles for a before school selfie. Mostly. John isn’t quite sure of this whole selfie business. Some days are insane to get out of the door. From the battle of changing out of jammies to combating the inevitable poop diaper at departure time, I’m grateful for days like these where the smiles win out!

Processed with VSCOcam with n1 preset

:: 10:00 :: There are plenty of days where our mornings together are spent running errands or at doctor’s appointments as of late. I’ve been trying to focus on spending some solo moments with this kiddo where I can – as all of our lives are about to change. Today we started with laundry.

PicMonkey Collage.jpg

:: 10:30 :: Our weather has been gorgeous, and we headed out for a wagon ride to the park. We missed big brother, but it’s so much easier on my preggo self to only take one!

Processed with VSCOcam with a2 preset

:: 11:15 :: We picked up the mail on the way back, and just like with the laundry, I had an eager helper to sort it. Soon after I put him down for a nap. School days are tough to fit in a nap at the right time. Ideally, he would stay up until 12:30 or 1:00, but I can’t keep him up until a 1:30 pick-up time to only have him car nap while we wait. So we squeeze it in a bit early on these days.

PicMonkey 2Collage.jpg

:: 11:35 :: I’m also trying desperately to carve a few moments for myself during the day where I can find them. Today means a shower, quick craft, and a lunchtime smoothie while the little guy naps.

Processed with VSCOcam with c1 preset

I’ve been loving this preggo Pina Colada lately! Throw together a  little cream of coconut, pineapple, frozen banana, frozen mango, spinach, avocado, ice, and water – and you’ve got a refreshing lunch {or at least part of a lunch!}.

Processed with VSCOcam with h6 preset

:: 12:50 :: John wakes up, and I quickly get him fed before leaving for pick-up.

Processed with VSCOcam with g1 preset

:: 2:00 :: We are back from picking up Wyatt, and he’s taking some quiet time while I attempt to keep an eye on John and finish up my craft for the day. I need more of these in my life. Our new laundry room sign took about an hour total and allowed me to have some creative therapy!


:: 3:00 :: These two are getting a little rowdy, and I’m on Facebook and texting friends pleading for someone to meet us at the park.

Processed with VSCOcam with g3 preset

:: 4:00 :: We didn’t have any park takers, but a friend invited us to come swimming at her pool. Having a “yes day” is all the rage these days. I’m not sure I have entire yes days, but in a “yes moment” went ahead and took her up on her offer. Four babies and two mommas – we got this thing!

Processed with VSCOcam with g3 preset

:: 6:30 :: So time {and picture taking} has gotten away from me. After a fit leaving our friend’s house, a few bowls of Grammie’s soup defrosted from the freezer, and the arrival of Daddy, I’m so ready for the boys to play outside while I clean the kitchen. I used to feel guilty about taking this time like I needed to somehow always be a part of “family” time in the evening, but it’s been helpful for me to get things done so I can get my pregnant self to bed earlier, and I love watching the boys play in the backyard with their dad!


:: 7:00 :: A really tough Super Man has come back inside and found me resting on the couch. He’s a force to be reckoned with for sure! Next up – bath and bed!

Processed with VSCOcam with a2 preset

:: 8:00 :: Baths are done, and boys are in bed. We don’t always get them down this early. It’s a goal, and when Wyatt doesn’t nap {and John decides to stop cutting teeth!} – we usually meet it.


:: 9:00 :: I’m in the middle of Mr. Penumbra’s 24 Hour Bookstore, and I most likely fell asleep on the couch a paragraph or two into my reading session.


I’m not sure what time this day actually ended. I should make myself do the same for a day with both boys home and see how they compare. I would admit that a “fault” I have as a stay-at-home-mom is giving a bit too much attention to my kids. I’m not humbly bragging here; I think we would all be better adjusted if they played independently more often, and I took time during the day both for taking care of our home and taking care of me.  It’s something I’m working on for sure, but I treasure these days and these memories as they are growing before our eyes.

And now I want to hear from you? What are the similarities in our days? The differences? Do your days start earlier and end later? What memories of your days as a stay-at-home-mom or working mom make your family unique?

Read about more long days and neverending smiles in our ‘A Day in the Life’ series.

Previous articleOur Mother’s Day Wishlist
Next articleA Day in the Life…of a Working Mom
Jenn is an English teacher turned stay at home mom to boys Wyatt {2010}, John {2013}, and Abram {2014}. South Louisiana born and raised, North Louisiana educated, and Texas “polished,” she has found Houston to be home with her husband for the past ten years. After infertility struggles, in 2010 she traded in A Tale of Two Cities for Goodnight, Goodnight Construction Site and has since been busy discovering ways to learn while playing, maintaining a semi-scheduled family life, and integrating both Texas and Louisiana culture into her family. Besides making memories with her boys full time, she enjoys reading, running, crafting, cooking, and football. Y’all stop by When In Doubt, Add More Salt to read more about family adventures with the boys and Jenn’s thoughts on hot summers and Pinterest pin attempts, and her love/hate relationship with March Madness brackets.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here