Today is Grandparents’ Day, and although our city is still in the midst of storm recovery, we want to be sure to honor these special people. Many of us have strongly felt their support more than ever during this time of crisis.
While gifts and cards and crafts are special, what most grandparents want more than anything is more time with their grandkids! Whether you are local or visiting, here are a few ideas for special things to do with grandchildren in and around our beautiful city ::
25 Things To Do With Grandchildren in Houston
- Take them out to eat! Pick one of these kid-friendly dining restaurants, or enjoy some patio dining with space for the kids to run around.
- Turn it into a progressive meal and get some ice cream for dessert, or let them feel fancy and visit The Chocolate Bar.
- Cook a special family meal or a baked treat together and let them do as much of it as possible.
- Visit a new-to-them special park and pack a picnic.
- Make, portion, and deliver food for flood victims and volunteers.
- Browse a garage sale or thrift store, giving them a few dollars to spend.
- Take them for an American Girl tea.
- Put together blessing bags for the homeless.
- If they can stay up late enough, check out a drive-in movie.
- Go to a free class especially for kids at Lowe’s or Home Depot.
- Let them choose their own Build-A-Bear.
- Take them fishing.
- Pick out a new board game or puzzle and play it together.
- If you have enough kiddos, schedule a chocolate factory tour at Kegg’s Candies.
- Help them set up a lemonade stand and try unusual flavors.
- Attend a sports game together.
- Make a day of it at the Kemah Boardwalk or Pleasure Pier.
- Experience downtown by riding the METRORail and exploring the tunnels.
- Go on a nature scavenger hunt and look for some of Houston’s most common birds.
- Paint your own pottery at any number of local studios.
- Let them help you wash your car in their swimsuits.
- Do the messy crafts like painting t-shirts, making a classic pinecone bird feeder, or slime!
- Ride the Hermann park train and pedal boats.
- Go backyard or indoor camping.
- See a play at Main Street Theater.